The first mention of public education in Dartmouth can be found in the town meeting records of July 7, 1702. The first high school students mentioned during the late eighteen hundreds were tuition students at New Bedford High School. In 1903, the Bush Street School, presently the Administration Building for the Dartmouth Public Schools, was built to house the first Dartmouth High School class. In 1927, the high school was moved to the building that now houses the Town Hall. In 1956, the main portion of what is now the middle school was built and the first addition to it was completed in 1960. This was followed by another addition in 1981. Today, the high school is located on Bakerville Road in South Dartmouth. In 1985, the U.S. Department of Education awarded Dartmouth High School a national Flag of Excellence.
Our school logo: The Dartmouth Indian
Prior to the early 1970's, Dartmouth High School utilized several iterations of a Dartmouth Indian logo on athletic team uniforms. Following the undefeated 1973 football season, Mr. Clyde Andrews, member of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head (Aquinnah), DHS Class '74 and Dartmouth Hall of Famer, redesigned the Indian image to more accurately reflect and honor the Eastern Woodlands Indians of the region now known as Dartmouth. An iteration of the image designed by Andrews remains in use today and continues to pay homage to the Wampanoag. The symbol is an icon of respect, honor and strength--key characteristics exemplified by Dartmouth students in competition, whether on the athletic fields or in the concert halls. The Dartmouth Indian symbol is a key tenet of our Dartmouth Pride.
Our school colors: Green and White
Our school song: Glory to Dartmouth
Glory to Dartmouth
Now all together,
Make the echoes ring for Dartmouth.
Our team's a winner.
We've got the stuff.
We wear the Dartmouth green
And that's enough.